To synthesize means to make or create using several items. It is a term that you will commonly find in various fields but more especially in the world of science. For instance, photosynthesis means making using light. With this understanding, you are correct to say that a synthesis essay is a type of essay written using several sources to make a sound argument.
When writing a synthesis essay, the writer is expected to draw principles and facts from different sources to make their case or argument. The objective here is not to make a summary of these sources but rather draw understanding from them in an effort of passing on an important argument. You should be able to analyze the connection between various sources of information. These relationships should guide you into making a proper argument about your given essay.
Writing a Perfect Synthesis Essay
So, how do you write a synthesis essay from the start to the end? Well, there are several considerations you must make. Here is what to do:
- Research in the area of interest. Good writing always comes from good research and sufficient background information. Therefore, take time to study the general area of interest to get enough information to work with. It is a great approach to take when writing a synthesis essay.
- Define your topic. After identifying your key area of interest, come up with a specific topic. Ensure that you narrow your research to one specific item. You will not have a lot of room to argue for or against a general subject. Again, you will not be able to make a sound argument. Defining your specific topic is something you will behave to put into consideration for successful synthesis.
- Identify Key Resources to Use. At the back of your mind, you should by this time have enough resources to use in writing your essay. Make sure you have a reference for every point that you are going to make in your essay. These sources are key to giving credibility to your essay. A good synthesis is one with enough materials to consult.
- Make Your Arguments Backed up by the Sources. You shouldn’t have discussions in your essay without proper backing with relevant material. Your points should not be mere opinions but sound assertions drawn from thoughtful ideas and well-informed background. This is the essence of writing a synthesis essay. Most importantly, ensure you make a proper citation of all sources used.
- State your conclusion. Show how you have used your sources to state your case. It is important to restate the main objective of your essay and how you have managed to prove that. This section is a nutshell of everything you have written down already. Don’t be tempted to introduce new ideas at this point.
As you prepare to write a synthesis essay, it is important to understand what it is all about. Writing from a well-informed point of view and research background is the secret to having success in this type of assignment.